» Fed Pic Idea?
Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:22 am by Danny Cruz

» Danny Cruz's Bio
Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:26 am by Akuri_TE_Mitsu

»  The Mass Effect" coming soon!
Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:03 pm by Eron

» The Norris Academy
Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:35 am by Bruce Norris

» The GM has announced a Tag Team Tournament (sign up sheet)
Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:59 pm by Tertius Human

» Minotics (The musician behind The Man Of A Thousand Gimmicks)
Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:15 pm by Aeon Flux

» Hi orw fam :)
Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:56 am by Steve Cage

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grammar tips

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Grammar tips on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 pm

OK, so there are a number of tips that I *could* post here to help with the grammar and spelling of the group here, but I'll keep it to a few that seem to cover some of the major offenders. Please note I am not attempting to call anyone out in particular, just trying to make our show that much better by having good grammar and spelling.

Contractions and possessive forms

1. When planning to use an 's ending, check to see if you are using a possessive form (i.e. Big B's post, meaning a post belonging to Big B) or a shortened form for saying something is doing something (i.e. Big B's going backstage, although in this case it is probably clearer to say Big B is going backstage). This is just a quick way to know whether or not an 's is appropriate to use.
  2. The word its is a possessive form - it means "belonging to it." It's is a shortened form for "it is" - read through the context to see which is correct.

Words commonly misused

There are several words that are commonly misused. Here are a few of them and the meanings behind them.

• Their/they're/there. Their is a possessive form, meaning "belonging to them." They're is a contraction, meaning "they are." There is a place - not here.
  • Its/it's. Addressed above, its is a possessive term, meaning belonging to it. It's is a contraction, meaning "it is."
  • To/too/two. To can be used in a few ways, but often involves a direction, meaning not from. Too is another way to say "also," and can be used to indicate an abundance of something (i.e. too much). Two is the loneliest number since the number one.

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum